Jump To Navigation
For a complimentary consultation 212-737-2700 | 718-238-6500
Partition Actions

New York City: Partition Action Attorneys

When a loved one writes a will, he or she has the right to leave a house or property to more than one person, if he or she chooses. Many of our real estate litigation clients have received part ownership of a home, which a brother may like to keep and a sister may prefer to sell. If the partners cannot come to an agreement about what to do with the house, a partition action may be filed to force the sale of the property.

At Connors And Sullivan Attorneys At Law, PLLC, our attorneys specialize in estate law, elder law and real estate transactions in New York City. We are uniquely positioned to represent the best interests of people who have inherited property and wish to receive a fair share of the property's value. We have been in practice for more than 25 years and have a track record of success in real estate litigation.

For a complimentary consultation with a real estate litigation lawyer in our Brooklyn (Bay Ridge), Queens (Middle Village, Bayside) and Manhattan (Midtown) law offices, contact us by calling 718-238-6500 or 212-737-2700. You may also contact us via e-mail to schedule an appointment in the office nearest you.

Property Division through a Partition Action

Often people who inherit property come into conflict with each other, because each has different goals. One may want to keep the house and live in it, while another would like to sell it in order to receive the cash value or keep it as a rental property. If the parties cannot come to an agreement, one may bring a partition. The court will then decide what to do with the property.

Before ruling, the court will demand an accounting, including the costs of maintaining the property, its fair market value and partner equity, that is, the difference between the selling price and the amount owed on a mortgage. The court has complete discretion. In some cases, the court may order the property be sold by a neutral third party or order one partner to buy out the other.

Contact Us

Our attorneys have a track record of success in dealing with partition actions and real estate litigation. We have tested skills in negotiation and litigate hard if the situation demands it. Call 718-238-6500 or 212-737-2700 for an appointment with a qualified real estate litigation attorney in one of our New York City offices, or contact us via e-mail

Call today for a complimentary Consultation.

Michael Connors is a U.S. Army Veteran and a Veterans Administration Accredited Attorney.

Office Locations

7408 Fifth Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11209
Phone: 718-238-6500
Fax: 718-238-2616
Brooklyn Law Office Map

110 East 59th Street
New York , NY 10022

Ph: 212-737-2700
New York Law Office Map

Bayside Queens:
200-20 Northern Boulevard
Bayside, NY 11361

Ph: 718-225-7200
Bayside Law Office Map

Middle Village Queens:
79-09 Metropolitan Avenue
Middle Village, NY 11379

Ph: 718-238-6500
Middle Village Law Office Map

Staten Island:
1250 Hylan Boulevard,
Staten Island, NY 10305

Ph: 718-238-6500
Staten Island Law Office Map

Contact our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
  1. disclaimer.