Connors and Sullivan, Attorneys at Law, PLLC
For a complimentary consultation
212-235-1339 718-414-6209

2 tools for ensuring financials for a disabled adult child

There's a notable quote that goes, "No parent should have to bury a child." As the original source of that phrase also said, it's unnatural. The notion makes sense. The normal cycle of life calls for those of the older generations to pass before those in the younger, and most of the time that's how things work.

But even following the normal course of events can cause anxiety for parents who care deeply about caring for their children. And that concern only runs deeper when one of those children has some form of chronic disability. The extensive care that child may require is typically borne by the parents. How will that care be delivered if the child outlives the parents? Can strategic estate planning meet care needs without causing friction in the rest of the family?

The answer is that it depends on your unique circumstances. To get answers, you should consult an attorney to explore your options. But there are two specific tools to know about in this regard.

The first is a special needs trust. This document is how a parent or other guardian of a special needs individual dedicates a set sum of money to cover the needs of the trust recipient. Disabled individuals often can't manage their own money easily or wisely. And so, in addition to providing a pool of funds, this type of trust calls for the naming of a third party to administer the funds. When well-crafted and executed, the trust can also provide the funds without threatening the recipient's eligibility for benefits that might be available from the government.

Trust fund sourcing can be a point of resentment among heirs, especially if it draws from what they might inherit. This is where the second instrument, a last-to-die insurance policy, comes in. The policy only pays benefits upon the death of both parents and the funds can be assigned directly to the trust.

How much the policy should be for depends on what you can afford. In some cases, you might be able to use government benefit funds to help pay the premium.

Again, the structural details are something to discuss with your attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Office Locations

Connors and Sullivan, Attorneys at Law, PLLC
7408 Fifth Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11209

Phone: 718-414-6209
Fax: 718-238-2616
Brooklyn Law Office Map

Bayside Queens:
Connors and Sullivan, Attorneys at Law, PLLC
200-20 Northern Boulevard
Bayside, NY 11361

Ph: 718-225-7200      
Bayside Law Office Map

Middle Village Queens:
Connors and Sullivan, Attorneys at Law, PLLC
79-43 Metropolitan Avenue
Middle Village, NY 11379

Ph: 718-238-6500
Middle Village Law Office Map

Staten Island:
Connors and Sullivan, Attorneys at Law, PLLC
1250 Hylan Boulevard
Staten Island, NY 10305

Ph: 718-238-6500  
Staten Island Law Office Map

Connors and Sullivan, Attorneys at Law, PLLC
880 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Ph: 212-737-2700  
Map & Directions

Contact Our Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Legal Leaders Presents Martindale-Hubbell | Top Rated Lawyers 2015 | Featuring AV Preeminent | Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer Rating NAELA | National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. | Member | Leading the way in Special Needs and Elder Law